Saturday, October 27, 2007

El Fim

My time in Brazil has come to an end. I have less than 8 hours left and felt that I couldn't spend it in bed... so here I am at 1:45 typing another post....

This week has flown by. Actually, this whole experience has flown by! I cannot believe that tomorrow I will be flying back to the States... It won't hit me until I am on the plane I suppose. I have yet to cry but I know the tears will come tomorrow.

There are so many things that I am going to miss:

Tastes:
  • fresh fruit (mainly pineapple and mangos)
  • rice, beans and farafa (yes, for real)
  • Jeanne's dinners
  • Karin's desserts
  • Judy's popcorn in the teacher's room

Feelings:

  • the hot Brazilian sun beating down on me

Smells: mmm... can't say that there are any....

Sounds:

  • the rooster that so faithfully wakes me up at 4:00, and 4:15, and 4:30, and 5:00, and...
  • Dr. Underwoods jokes
  • Judy's songs
  • the laughter of my first and second graders
  • Stacy saying "I love you, Miss Herbst"

Sights:

  • watching the sunrise while eating breakfast
  • people playing soccer at every chance
  • 12 precious students working hard or listening to my every word

Others (that I didn't feel fit under any category):

  • working with such a patient, flexible and gracious cooperating teacher
  • Andres and his inability to stay in his chair
  • Laura and her bouquets of "fresh flowers" aka grass
  • Maria and her beautiful pictures
  • Lucas and his precious smile without his two front teeth
  • Ruth and her growing knowledge of English
  • Stacy and her hugs
  • Jeffrey and his daily improvement that is so exciting to watch
  • Hannah and her helpfulness
  • Mateus and his long answers
  • Beatriz and her sweet spirit
  • Arthur and his hilarious comments and love for reading the Bible
  • Pedro and his inquisitive mind

The students threw me a "surprise party" today, except that yesterday they told me, "Miss Herbst, we have a surprise for you but you won't know until tomorrow." I love kids! They each gave me a picture and note that they had written. I had to ask a few of them to read their notes, because I couldn't understand their invented spelling. They were so sweet! I was close to tears, but laughing at the same time, which kept the tears away. I wonder if this is how it will feel at the end of every year. You get so attached to students and are sad to see them go.

All this week, the students were asking me,
"Miss Herbst, but why do you have to go to the United States?"

"When are you coming back?"

"When you come back, will you teach 3rd and 4th grade?"

"When will you know if you can come back?"

"Do you have MSN? Do you have a camera? YAY! Then we can talk to each other!"

And precious Stacy: "Miss Herbst, can I go with you to the United States?"

Me: "Can you fit in my bag?"

Stacy: "I'm small. I can fit in your bag!"

Me: "I'm sorry Stacy - I already talked to my noivo [fiance] and he said I couldn't bring any kids back."

Stacy: "Oh."

Me: "But come and visit me!"

If kids could go wherever they wanted whenever they chose, I think I would have 10 kids coming to my house tomorrow. It really made me feel pretty good to know that I was loved! (I think Stacy told me 10 times this morning in chapel.... :)

Right before we had our cake, Miss Storms asked someone to pray. Pedro, who has had a hard time getting along with me, volunteered. I was pretty excited. He said, "Dear God, Thank you for Miss Herbst and all that she learned us..."

I failed!! Ha - I don't think I heard anything else after that because I was trying not to laugh. It was so precious.

Then I had to stop and ask myself about my reason for being there:

Did they see Christ through me?

Will they remember the life-lessons learned and not just those in math and science?

Were able to learn from my example?

"And they praised God because of me." Galatians 1:24 *Are they praising God because of me? Did I point them closer to Him?* I hope so!

Yes, part of my heart wil be here in Brazil. How cool would it be for my students to come and visit me someday? I would love to visit them again!

I have learned so much through this experience, but that post will have to wait until another time. Yes, D, I can sleep when I'm dead, but I can't type when I'm asleep....

Sorry for no pictures tonight - it is too late to load them all. Hopefully I can show you some in person very soon!

I am looking forward to seeing you soon, telling you more about my amazing experience and hearing what you have been up to!

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH for your continued prayers during my time in Brazil. I truly appreciate them! I would appreciate your prayers tomorrow as I travel back to Columbus.

And for the last time from Brazilian soil....

Serving HIM in BRAZIL,

Brittany *Miss Herbst*

2 comments:

Dan Magee said...

Stacey - I did not tell her she couldn't bring you back, in fact I asked if she could!

Anonymous said...

Fim”- This is the word that you tried to say (how is sad to say this). But I try always remember that all the beginnings have its end. However, have you ever thought what happen after the “fim”? Answer: Other begin.
Brittany, your trip here in Brazil has finished, but for all people that you have met here and for you too a new chapter in ours “book” has started.
Thank you for coming to Brazil, you gave us the opportunity to know a nice person – YOU!
See you here in the Earth or with God in the Haven (talking a new language so we can understand each other!!).

Kamila