Friday, August 24, 2007

A Broken Light and a Steve Green Song...

Friday's are automatically good days because they end at lunchtime. The students don't have time to get crazy, and they don't have to sit through science, which makes them happy too.

Today, I decided to have math at the reading carpet. We were talking about addition problems using a picnic scenario. We each brought a sandwich to eat, but we had some uninvited guests -ants - who wanted some too. We each told a story problem about how many ants were on our plate, and how many came to join them. The students enjoyed being somewhere other than their desks and not using a pencil to complete their math. Before we went over to the carpet, I warned them that in order to participate in the activity, they had to be good listeners and cooperate. They knew that if they did not listen, we would have to go back to the table like usual. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they behaved!

Toward the end of our "picnic", however, something unexpected happened: the light above the back table exploded. The class froze, and a few students screamed. I immediately realized that had we been at the table as usual, the students would have been badly cut if not more badly injured. My teacher and I calmed the students and then prayed, thanking God for keeping us safe. My cooperating teacher left the room to get someone to clean it up. The students were not to move until she came back. In order to keep them occupied, I suggested we sing a song. One of the students immediately started singing, "When I am afraid I will trust in You. I will trust in You. I will trust in You. When I am afraid I will trust in You, in God, whose Word I praise." And all the rest joined in...

After school, the first and second graders were running up to all of the other students telling them this story:

"The light fell and crashed all over the floor! But God told Miss Herbst to have math at the carpet and not the back table. God kept us safe!"

How neat it was to hear 6, 7 and 8 year olds praising God for His safe hand of protection rather than simply spreading news about the light crashing! What a privilege to work with kids and be able to be a part of their growing relationship with Christ! It is both encouraging and challenging!

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?" Psalm 56:3-4

Praising Him for His protection!
*Brittany

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story!! It is so encouraging to know that even though kids might not be understanding their math problems, they understand the truth of God in their lives:-) Hope you are enjoying your weekend!