Monday, August 27, 2007

Portuguese, Purchases and Princesses :)


Yesterday, a few teachers and I went to the "Hippie Fair" to do some shopping. Every Sunday, many vendors set up stands in one of the largetst squares in Belem and sell various Brazilian artifacts (most of which make great souvenirs!). It is quite the event! You can find everything from jewelry and clothes to coconuts and even clothes for your dogs.... (yes, it was rather rediculous...)





I'm not sure if you can see, but the ladies in the picture are dressing a Miniature Doberman...




I learned a new Portuguese phrase: cuanto e? It means "How much is this?" It's very important to know when shopping. I was also able to practice my numbers a lot as well!




At the English Church Service, I had a lesson on colors. Most are very similar to Spanish, which is very helpful. However, I am not able to make one of the sounds in the word red (vermelho). My Brazilian friends were trying not to laugh... but then they can't tell the difference among these words: three, tree, and free. We tried to help each other pronounce these sounds, and had a good time doing it! :)



Perhaps the highlight of the shopping trip was when I met the Disney Princesses! Ariel, Belle, Snow White and a brunette Cinderella were kind enough to take a moment out of their busy day to take a picture with a fan. I was slightly embarrassed that the others getting pictures taken were younger than the students in my class.... but then I realized:





1. I will never see these people again


2. It will make a great memory


3. The people with me did not give me a choice...


4. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity! :)


5. Who has ever seen a brunette Cinderella? (only in Brazil! :)



After our adventure, one of the teachers invited me and another student teacher over for lunch with her family. It was nice to be in a home! (although it was weird being called "Miss Herbst" outside of the classroom! I'm getting old!!) I was able to go to their home for lunch a few weeks ago. They introduced me to two Brazilian drinks: coconut milk and acai. Although acai looks like a blueberry, it does not even close to tasting like one. It is a very deep purple in color, and extremely thick. After you drink it, your teeth will turn black. In this picture, I am deciding if I am going to pretend to like it or if I am going to be honest and say how I really feel.... I was not a fan of it... so they added some sugar.... then some tapioca.... I still wasn't convinced. Yesterday, we had it in ice cream. I decided I could handle it. I'd still choose black rasberry chocolate chunk or cookies and cream any day. :) In their back yard, they have a coconut tree. They chopped off the top of a coconut, stuck in a straw, and handed it to me. How fun! This drink I enjoyed.
Thanks, Mr. & Mrs. Cooley for lunch and the "treats", and thanks, Mrs. Cooley, for taking the pictures! (thanks, too, to Nathaniel, Elisabeth, Caleb and Hannah for being good hosts! :)






This week, I am now teaching full-time! I would appreciate your prayers as it is rather overwhelming and extra tiring at first. Thanks so much!

Hope all is well in the States!

Serving HIM in Brazil,

Brittany



1 comment:

Lisa Anglea-Lange said...

HI Miss Herbst.

SO nice to hear those little darlings cause you so much frustration and give you so much love all at the same time...what can be better than teaching???!!!!

Keep being tough! Don't let those first graders boss you around....sounds like good practice for a cheerleading coach! haha

Ok, with the start of school I've been clocked out of your blog for a while....but your prayer card is right by my monitor at work...so I am reminded to keep praying for u.

Teach well this week. Go Warriors and Go bucks!

Pray for your parents, next weekend may be a shock of silence...but then again, with Cass around, I guess things are never quiet :)

Keep learning and growing.
uncle tom